If you unplug a storage device or removable drive from your computer while it’s transferring or saving information, you might risk losing some information. In Windows you can do the following to safely remove such devices.
- Click on the upward arrow on the taskbar by the clock and your will see the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon
- Right click on it and select eject external drive
Another way to do this is to create a shortcut on your desktop to remove the drive. So that whenever you want remove a drive, double click on the icon, select the drive and click ok.
- Right Click on desktop select New and click on Shortcut
- Type in the below in the location of the item field and click next
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
- Provide a name for the shortcut and click finish
- Double click on the shortcut you created located on the desktop, select the drive and click stop